Let People Enjoy Things
- “The Last Living Rose” — PJ Harvey
- “Oceanbound” — 764-Hero
- “Everything is Everything” — Lauryn Hill
- “Seen a Lot of Things” — Wu-Tang Clan (w/ Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, & Harley)
- “Wind Fall” — Chasman
- “Echos Myron” — Guided By Voices
- “To the Teeth” — Ani DiFranco (w/ Billy Bragg)
- “Cool Water” — Hank Williams
- “Sister Cry” — The Jayhawks
- “Combinations and Complications” — Red Stars Theory
- “Way of the Light” — Gift Of Gab
- “Straight Edge” — Minor Threat
- “I’m Housin’” — EPMD
- “Clemency for the Wizard King” — The Mountain Goats
- “(I Want to Live On An) Abstract Plain” — Frank Black
- “Trashcan” — Delta Spirit
- “Mushrooms & Roses” — Janelle Monáe
There are few things louder than someone trying to convince the world they don’t like something, especially when that something is experiencing a swell of support. The insistence that you don’t watch Game of Thrones. The absolute need to tell someone your opinion and — more specifically — your dissenting opinion.
Those Facebook comments aren’t comments as much as misguided votes; frantic exclamations from people who believe their thoughts are required for the web to work. Who can’t imagine not being asked to provide input.
Anyway, I have a new pin on my backpack that says “Let People Enjoy Things.” It makes me happy. It’s a reminder to myself to let the people I love — friends, strangers, most of all my two kids — explore and make mistakes and fall deeply for whatever it is that makes you happy, whether that’s anthropomorphic cat novels or weird trap country or YouTube videos of people playing Roblox.
And, it’s a reminder to let myself love whatever it is that I love. (I’m looking at you, soon-to-be new wrestling fed run by the son of Dusty.)
Let people enjoy things. Here’s May’s mixtape.